The Columbia Pike Library was founded in 1930 by charter members of the Women's Club of Arlington, and was originally named The Arlington Library. Since then, Columbia Pike has moved several times in order to accommodate expanding collections and services (previous homes include a refurbished garage, the old Columbia School, and rented storefronts). In 1936 Columbia Pike became a part of the Arlington Government, and settled in it's current location in 1975.
Columbia Pike Branch Library resources now include a comprehensive College & Career section, a quiet-study room, the Cyber-Center, periodicals and audiovisual materials in several languages, ESL materials and Internet access to Spanish language databases Informe, Consulta, and Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre en línea. Languages spoken by staff include Bengali, German, Hindi, Nepali, Newari, Spanish and Thai.
During 2011 - 2012, Arlington Public Schools, which owns the Columbia Pike Library building, will undertake a series of renovations.